Monday 24 September 2007

It is September 24th,Monday here in Ontario. I finally slept last night; took my sleeping pill. I have been trying to sleep without it to no avail so I succumed and took it. Usally when I take it I am drowsey for the whole day up to about 6,so here I am writing this with a cloud in my head. I have read many aricles on mental illness and the one most common factor in all of them is the disruption of sleep. To rest the mind is important not only to mental functioning but also to physical well being as well. Any way I found this article on rice and how they have developed a new strain of rice by combining a hardy gene that is resistent to drought as well. The new strain uses less water but produces more grain. This is a valuable advance since as constraints on water use become more prevalent, in the areas where rice is grown, this will allow for a stable supply of food for these areas. The full article is found at the following(there is some scientific jargon): Hardy Rice:More Food

It is interesting that I have found today an article on the Global condition of Mental Illness. Basically less money is spent on mental health issues in developing countries(seems obivous) than in the developed countries. The interesting facts are the extent to which the illness is found in the world,the amount of service that people receive(America has one of the lowest) and the issue of age and gender. The article can be found here

No comments: